Thursday 19 March 2015

St. Patrick's Cathedral in Armagh

After being stuck packing boxes for weeks and moving my stuff between flats I wanted to go out on a road trip again while my mother was visiting me. So I decided to visit the St. Patrick's Cathedral in Armagh. I've seen this beautiful cathedral on aerial photos but I wanted to see it from the inside too. Mind you I am not a person of faith but I appreciate great architecture. And this cathedral did deliver on being stunningly beautiful.

Parish Office

Perched on a green hill

They started work on the cathedral in 1840 and it was finished in 1904 and the style used was Gothic Revival, also known as Neo-Gothic, Victorian Gothic. This architectural movement started around 1740 and was very popular in early 19th century. Some other well-known buildings in this style are the Palace of Westminster in London and the Church of Saint Peter and Saint Paul in Ostend.


Compared to the St. John's Cathedral in my home town 's-Hertogenbosch it is much brighter inside of the St. Patrick's giving the cathedral a warm feeling. Mind you St. John's was finished in 1530 so it is a much older cathedral and there is difference in the material used. St. Patrick's is made out of granite while St. John's is made out of stone. Years of traffic and industry has not done good on St. John's either that is why it has been restored to its former glory in 2010. 

Did I mention that I really love stained glass?



Best thing about the stained glass is that during bright weather like on this day you see a spectacle of colour inside. Free light show. :)

First female Bishop :P 







No comments:

Post a Comment